Who does not know papaya? Many people often eat this fruit since it has a delicious taste and it is easy to eat. Therefore, many people also plant the papaya tree since it is good to sell and it can give such economic profit for them.
However, papaya is not only a fruit to buy and sell. If you know how to plant and treat papaya and all the elements of the papaya tree then it can give you more than what you expected.
Papaya Tree Care
However, before getting all the benefits of the papaya tree, it is better to know the right way of papaya tree care. As you know, papaya tree is a kind of tropical tree.
This tropical tree originally comes from the tropical areas of America continent such as Central America and South America. Besides in America, it also grows well mostly in Asia and Africa. As a tropical tree, it really depends on the right external factor such as climate, temperature, and light intensity.
For example, the ideal temperature range for the growth of papaya tree is 21-33%. This tree also requires the rainfall intensity as much as 1000-2000 mm per year.
A good drainage is also absolutely required for the growth of papaya tree roots.
If we want to make the papaya tree growing healthy, we must provide fertilizer. Especially for the young plants, fertilizer is needed in every 14 days. We can use organic fertilizers, as much as ¼ pound for 1 tree.
For the grown trees (5 months old), we can apply the fertilizer once every month, as much as 1 to 2 pounds of organic fertilizer. Papaya trees require organic fertilizer in large quantities to provide nutrients and maintain soil moisture.
If we want the papaya trees can bear fruit even though the trees had not been so high, you can try to follow this tips:
- At 1 month old papaya tree with a height of about 20 inches, cut the upper trunk in order to trigger the growth of shoots on the bottom of the trunk.
- After 10 days, new shoots will appear. Afterwards, papaya trees have to be cut again about 6 inches off the ground or on a third or fifth shoots. Preferably the wounds on parts that have been cut off immediately wrapped in plastic to prevent rot.
- After approximately 8 days, it is time to choose the best shoot.
However, you must notice that a normal papaya tree usually will have an economic life cycle only for 3 years. Therefore, if its age is more than 3-year-old and the production of the fruit is getting decrease then do not afraid because it is a normal condition.
After giving the right papaya tree care, the papaya tree can bear the expected papaya fruit. The expected papaya fruit gives not only a delicious taste but also a lot of advantages for your body’s health.
Those are some important things about papaya tree care. Furthermore, we will discuss the advantages of papaya trees.
The Advantages of Papaya Tree
What are those advantages? Every part on it can be consumed and can give a good contribution. For example, the ripe papaya (as the most wanted part of it) can increase the resistance toward cough and cold since it gives the supply of vitamin A and C. Besides, this ripe fruit can be consumed as a good prevention of rheumatism.
Here are some benefits of papaya fruit:
- Papaya can moisturize the skin because this fruit contains vitamins A, C, and E.
- It also containing a high fiber that can be absorbed by the digestive system. So that papaya can help to prevent the constipation problem.
- Vitamin A on papaya can keep the eyes stay healthy.
- Papaya fruit can also counteract free radicals. By eating papaya fruit regularly can help you to look younger.
- Experts say that the young papaya fruit contains an enzyme that can enhance the metabolic system. So that the burning of fat in the body will be optimal. Therefore, young papaya fruit can help people who want to lose weight.
Although the papaya fruit has a lot of benefits, but also should be wary of. The fruit is not suitable for latex allergy sufferers.
If you want to have another way to consume this fruit, then you can make this fruit as a part of mixed juice for weight loss.
For depth analysis of nutrients, see the table below:
Fresh, Nutritive Value per 100 grams of Papaya fruit (Carica Papaya)
||Percentage of RDA
(Source: USDA National Nutrient data base)
Another part of papaya tree which is important as the ripe fruit is the leaves. The leaves of this tree do not give less contribution for body’s health. In some Asian countries, these leaves can be consumed as certain food recipes.
Furthermore, the extract of these leaves can be used to heal a certain wound and work as a good anti-inflammatory for arthritis, rheumatism, and asthma.
To remove the bitter taste of papaya leaves, you can use one of these two ways:
- Boil the leaves of papaya together with guava leaves. The first step, squeezing 150 g papaya and give a little salt (1 teaspoon). Then let it stand for 10 minutes. After that, rinse with clean water. The second step, boiled papaya leaves with 10 pieces of guava leaves.
- Boil the leaves of papaya with cassava leaves. The first step is the same as the explanation of number 1 above. The difference, in the second step papaya leaves boiled with 150 grams of cassava leaves.
Another advantage is given from the smallest part from a c; the seeds. Papaya tree seeds are also important as other parts of the papaya tree. Although this part of papaya tree cannot be consumed directly, but still it can give such a good advantage. Since they are edible and also peppery then they can be created as a substitute for black pepper.
The benefits of papaya seeds are:
- Papaya seeds have the ability to prevent parasites.
- Papaya seeds can make a healthy digestive system.
- Able to cure cirrhosis of the liver disease.
- Some people use papaya seeds to eliminate gray hair. Powder from papaya seeds can be used in the bath, then rinse with clean water. Do it routinely.
There is still another part of papaya tree which can give you a certain advantage. This part lies at the bottom; the roots. The extract of papaya tree roots has been clinically tested, it’s good to prevent the hypertensive.
Another benefit of the papaya tree roots:
A. Treating pain in the bladder
How to make it:
- 10 grams of dried papaya tree roots in a small cut
- 3 garlic that has been sliced thin
- 100 ml of water.
The next step
- Wash thoroughly pieces of papaya root.
- Heat the water and put pieces of papaya root.
- Wait until the water is reduced to 50%.
- Insert slivers of garlic.
- Wait until approximately 5 minutes, remove from heat and cool it down.
- Then strain the cooking water and drink while warm. For maximum results consume this boiled water 2 times a day.
B. Treating rheumatoid arthritis or aches in the joints
How to make it:
- 30 grams of dried papaya tree roots in a small cut
- 20 grams of bitter leaf
- 15 grams of senna alata
- 30 grams of the betel leaf
- 20 grams of lime
- 6 pieces of bird’s eye chili.
The next step
- Thoroughly wash the roots of papaya and then mash until smooth.
- The other ingredients also cut in a small sliced.
- Soak all the ingredients for 1 week using 75% alcohol.
- Afterwards, massage part of the body that affected by rheumatism by using the results of the soaking water. Do it three times a day for optimal results.
C. Can eliminate fatigue after activity
How to make it:
- 2 slices of papaya root (approximately 10 cm)
- 1 papaya leaf
- 1 liter of water.
The next step
- Rinse the roots and leaf of papaya, then mash both ingredients.
- Boil the two ingredients together into the water and wait until the boiling water is reduced to 50%.
- After cooled, strain the cooking water. Can be consumed when you feel tired.
Read more about apple nutrition benefits
Therefore, after knowing those benefits provided from a papaya tree and information about papaya tree care, then you can consider planting this tree instead of buying only the ripe fruit. By planting your own papaya tree, you can manage and process many parts of it to get the maximum value from the papaya tree.